Tuesday, October 2, 2007

#8 RSS Feeds

I actually set up an RSS feed through Google Reader when this lesson came out, but I didn't blog on it at the time. The reason I chose Google Reader was the read offline feature. I download the feeds and read them at home. The only problem with this is that you can't visit the links offline, but I can star anything I would like to revisit and look at it when I'm online.

Like the other Web 2.0 technology setting up a reader was painless. The painful part is finding good feeds that don't overwhelm you with new posts. News feeds are especially overwhelming. I tried several, deleted some that were too much or that weren't what they seemed to be and have continued to add more that I run across from other sources.

I can't always keep up with the feeds I have, but I do feel better informed on current events and library, archives and digital news items. After I returned from Chicago, I ran across a good archives feed and realized that the author was someone I had worked with in an SAA workshop. Several other blog authors were there, but I didn't actually meet them.

No comments:

Post a Comment