Wednesday, October 3, 2007

#10 Do Your Own Library Thing

I love LibraryThing! I added a few books by typing in the title and then added a large list with the uploader by just typing in a list of ISBN numbers. Both methods were easy to use and worked great. With the ISBN list I did get a couple duplicate entries, but nothing major. Of course the 200 titles with the free membership didn't come close to covering the number of books I have, so I did the lifetime membership.

LibraryThing is a great way to keep up with books I want to read as well as books I already own. I used tags to differentiate between the two. I still haven't added all the books I own, but hopefully it will keep me from buying multiple copies of one title. You can check my library here.

Bloggoogle looked promising as an academic tool. It is supposed to be a directory of blogging professionals - categorized and rated by their peers. I thought that would be a good way to find good blogs about certain categories, but when I went to register to check it out, I got an error message. Unfortunately you can't even try it without registering.

43things was interesting, especially when I ran across a library using that concept for their Web2.0 sessions which are starting this month. They were covering 23 web2.0 things, 23 because 43 was too many. On this site you can make a list of 43 things you want to do and interact with others who want to do the same things you do. Fun, but too much to keep up with.

Finally, I found one that has a use for academia. CiteULike lets you add journal articles, books, etc. to your bibliography page. These items can be tagged and can be shared with other researchers or kept private. It will tag books from Amazon or articles from journals. You can create groups where students can work together and share bibliographic entries.

There were lots of fun things on the web2.0list, but most of them were for personal use. I saw very little that would be important or useful professionally.

This was my one of my favorite applications from the web20list. Now if I can make it work. The one thing I don't like about it is the extra clicks to get to a webpage.

No comments:

Post a Comment