Thursday, October 4, 2007

#13 Tagging Part 2

I really liked the functionality of the Encore catalog. The tag cloud worked well to limit search results. The basketry search at Michigan State resulted in 97 entries and I was able to use the tag cloud to narrow down the results. Once students learn about tag clouds they will help them narrow down large searches. When will Google utilize clouds?

I've heard of del.icio.us for a long time, but have never used it until now. I really like the ability to access my bookmarks from anywhere. Several classes that I teach access my bookmarks from a static web page. Adding new sites to this page is tedious and time consuming, but with del.icio.us I can tag the bookmarks, update them easily and refer students to this site which is always current.

I can see using this tool for the archives as well. There are many web sites available with valuable historical information. A link to a del.icio.us bookmark page on our web site would be useful to researchers on and off campus. Hmmm, what pages should I bookmark for archives? Check here for the Archives del.icio.us account.

No comments:

Post a Comment