Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Why Is It?

While the girls and I were driving down the road, we passed a man and a boy walking along the edge of the road. My youngest daughter saw them and made the comment "weirdos." The discussion that followed is not worthy of a post, mostly because it was pretty one-sided. My side.

Why is it that when we see someone walking or riding a bike our first thought is 'weirdo' or something equally derogatory? And heaven forbid, someone tries to be a good citizen while they are walking. If you carry a bag to pick up trash along the way, then you aren't just weird, you're a bag lady, or something equally demeaning.

Yes, I walk. A lot. Yes, I often carry a bag to pick up trash. Yes, I even pick up cans that go to support Habitat for Humanity.

Yes, I've been called weird and a bag lady and not just by my kids. Why is it that I am embarrassed for being a good citizen?

And last but not least, why is it that there are no trash cans alongside the Ravine?

No comments:

Post a Comment