Thursday, March 13, 2008

Using Flickr to Help Patrons

I've been working with a woman who is writing a book about Muddy Creek and the Waco community from Civil War to the 1930s. She contacted me to help her get her historic facts straight. Most of the information she needed came from old directories or news articles about the area. Pretty straight forward.

Then she started asking questions about homes on Muddy Creek, and it was starting to sound like she wasn't real familiar with the geography of the area. And a "Tara" style home is really out of place in Waco.

Yesterday after work, I drove by some of the older homes in the area and took quick photos of them, not good photos, but enough that she could see the general style of home. I uploaded the photos to my Flickr account and made a special set for them, so she could find them easily. Finally I placed each of them on a map so she could see how the community fit in relation to the creek and to the main road through the area. It must have really worked to give her a reference point because now she's rewriting.

We'll see what comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment