Thursday, January 3, 2008

Christmas basket weaving

Over the Christmas break I remade this basket. Yes, I took it completely apart and put it back together again. I filled it too heavy and when it was picked up one side pulled out from the wooden base and the handle pulled loose from the stakes. Yikes, back to the drawing board. I adapted this pattern from a huge tote bag I made in a class and put it on a wooden base rather than a woven base. Obviously the stakes weren't close enough together to hold everything securely.

This is a large basket with a wooden base 11 1/2" by 18". The stakes alternate between 1/2" brown and 5/8" natural. They were glued into the slot this time around. Three rows of twining with #2 round reed secure the bottom and weaving is done with 1/4" flat oval, 1/2" flat flat natural and 1/2" flat flat brown.

The handle was woven into the basket and the rim is 5/8" half round lashed with 5mm cane. I may have to make another one to keep since my girls have been wanting laundry baskets. This one goes to Minnie.

No comments:

Post a Comment