Friday, July 6, 2007

Where to start?

The first thing to do was get organized. I got a large notebook and dividers and started putting in brochures and ideas I had been collecting for years.

With that done I needed to know how to build from the ground up. At this point I didn't realize how much building I would be doing myself. I just wanted to know the process, so that I would be familiar enough to talk to contractors without sounding like a complete dummy. Needless to say, I did this fairly often even with all the research and studying.

I started with a Google search for building houses and found a great page that went step by step through the building process.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/house.htm

The author discusses each step of the building process, showing different options for floor and roof systems and more. He also includes lots of pictures of all steps of the construction process. This page was printed and added to the notebook.

The author of this web page recommended George Nash's book Do-it-Yourself Housebuilding : The Complete Handbook, which became my bedside reading for almost two years.

2 comments:

  1. Jackie,
    You have guts girl!! way to go.
    I admire the strength that you have shown that women can do anything if they just put their mind, back and energy into it.

    Can't wait to see the finished home. ( I say home because this is what a home is made of hard work and love.)

    Nadeen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed Jackie. This is something to share with the world. YOur blog is a great way to inspire people.

    ReplyDelete