Friday, July 20, 2007

Estimates and Construction Loans

It was during this phase that I realized just how much building I was going to have to do. Allen, a friend who was a builder, gave me estimates for three different house plans and it became clear pretty quickly that I couldn't afford to pay contractors for everything.

Terry looked over the plans for the house I designed just to make sure everything would work and that it was structurally sound. Since this plan was the least expensive of the houses Allen quoted, these were the plans I took to various lumber yards to get cost estimates for lumber packages.

Allen also gave me names of contractors to do various jobs. Some of these I used, some I didn't. One thing I found out early on was that most contractors are so tied to big builders that they can't work in small jobs for individuals. In the end I contracted only the excavating, concrete work, plumbing and heating/cooling. Friends helped with other things and I asked a million questions before I began each phase.

Finally I had everything together for the loan officer, I could afford payments on the building estimates, credit checks were done, and the loan was approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment