Monday, July 9, 2007

Finding a House Plan

One of the hardest things to do was to find a house plan that fit the picture I had in my head. I knew that I wanted 4 bedrooms, lots of storage, no hallways, and a dormer window with a window seat. I had to have that to curl up with a book, of course. I wanted a finished, walk-out basement and 2x6 walls for energy efficiency, but I didn't want (couldn't afford) a huge house.

I bought house plan books, borrowed books and looked online, but couldn't find what I had in mind. Years ago, when I bought the land, I had cut a house plan from Progressive Farmer that I liked. Unfortunately, that was before I had children and the floor plan didn't work now. Since I really liked the exterior of this house, I started with that and designed my own floor plan.

What I ended up with was a house that looks tiny on the outside and huge when you walk in, with about 1900 sq.ft. of living space. There is a large storage area under the eaves in the attic and under both staircases. The basement stays cool all summer and the back deck is our favorite room in the house during the summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment