Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Simple Pleasures

The mimosa tree by the road has been in full bloom for about a month now, but about a week ago I noticed that it was full of hummingbirds. They move so fast it's impossible to count, but there must have been close to 10 of them flitting from bloom to bloom and then darting off in pairs to find another source of nectar. After many tries I actually got a picture of one. I know it's not good, but I should have a new camera in a couple days. GE decided that the problem was with the camera and they've sent a replacement.

While I was picking peaches over the weekend I didn't see many hummingbirds, but the tree was covered with butterflies. This red-spotted purple was on the compost pile.

I was able to freeze 3 quarts of peaches and make 8 pints of peach jam, so I was pleased. Every other year the bugs eat way more than we do. One thing I noticed was that the peaches that weren't quite ripe had no bug damage, but by the time they get ripe the worms have gotten to them. So next year the tree needs pruned more, concentrating on removing some of the small branches and the peaches need to be picked just before they get ripe and allowed to ripen inside away from the bugs.

Now if only my kids would eat what is coming out of the garden. You would think I was trying to poison them by feeding them 'raw tomatoes, fried banana peppers, beet greens and zucchini.' Heaven forbid!

No comments:

Post a Comment