Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Gardening - Tools, Rocks and Weeds

One of the best things about my garden is that it is where piles of cow manure from a small dairy were left to compost for years. Now the soil has tons of organic matter and and clumps break up easily. It is easy to till and easy to pull weeds.

That's a good thing. Because one of the bad things about my garden is that while it was composting it spent five or more years growing weeds and spreading enough seed to grow weeds into the next millennium. My mantra this year has been 'if it doesn't seed there won't be as many weeds next year.' The new tiller is helping, but by the time I got it, the weeds were already too big for it. Which leads me to tools.

I have always heard to buy the best tools you can buy because they are well worth the money. My dad has said it, Donny always says it, every man I know says it, but it always seems like when I go to buy tools I never have the money to buy good ones. So, the rake I bought early last summer isn't usable this summer and the hoe I bought at good, old Walmart broke the first week.

New mantra. 'Buy good tools.'

Now for the other bad thing about my garden. When all that cow manure was scraped over to the manure pile, lots of rock went along with it. I don't know if I can ever get all the rock out, but with the help of my trusty wheelbarrow (a good one that Donny gave me when he upgraded to a two wheeler) I've been filling the holes in the driveway. Since my driveway is about 800 feet long, I figure that all the holes will be filled about the time the garden is free of rocks.

Now the best thing about my garden is eating a vine ripened tomato warm from the sun during a break from weeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment