Thursday, June 19, 2008

Farming the Hard Way

Last year I finally got smart and instead of paying someone to mow pastures and then buy hay, I made arrangements to have someone cut hay on shares. Duh. Why didn't I think of that before?

Let me start by saying that mechanical things don't like me. If it takes gas and has a pull rope, it really doesn't like me. It's so bad that the tiller I just bought is electric. Don't laugh.

I do have an old Ford Jubilee tractor, but it also doesn't like me. I can't keep it running for anything, so when it was time to put that free hay in the barn, I had to get creative. My daughter and I created a sled out of a sheet of plywood and a piece of 1/2" rope and pulled it with the car. Much cheaper than a hay wagon, but it could only hold 14 bales at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment