Friday, September 14, 2007

#20 Mashups

OK, I'm trying to catch up with the Learning 2.0 posts. I played with mashups so that I could at least know what we were talking about at the brown bag today. They were fun, at least the ones I could get to work. I found one I really liked (Bookr), and I was going to blog the results, but for some reason it wouldn't recognize my Flickr account.

I have been trying to come up with a way to use mashups for libraries and I haven't had many ideas. I can see uses for geography since most mashups seem to use maps. One application that I ran across plotted where birds were found in Central Park. I don't know how they pulled the bird info in but it was neat. This would open up uses for biology and ecology.

Another application let you search for independent bookstores around your zip code. It also lets you add bookstores that they don't have in their database. Lots of fun stuff, but I'll have to work on the academic side.

No comments:

Post a Comment